Friday, June 27, 2008

Morocco Chapter 6 -- The End!

The next day after driving a while as always we arrived at the market, where we were free like birds in the sky! It was fun to bargain with the guys—that’s how you buy things there. None of the prices are set you have to bargain with them (in English, Spanish, French…whatever language you choose). If you are tough you can get some pretty good prices. I bargained a few things down and got some souvenirs for people. It was fun because a couple times I was like “no I can’t pay that much” and wouldn’t go any higher and was about to walk away when they would give in or make a better compromise.

We went to a pretty nice place at lunch (I think they were trying to sort of make up for our little 6 hour delay earlier) where we had another performance. There was this lady and some guys that danced and then this other guy who balanced a tray of candles on the top of his head and danced around without letting it fall. It made me nervous but was really cool. The food was strange but amazingly good! The main course was this round kind of crispy thing that was made up of some tortilla like bread and with very flavorful chicken inside. But on top was powdered sugar and cinnamon I think…sweet stuff. It was bizarre but surprisingly very good!! Then we started the long trip back…by bus, ferry, and bus again. Overall it was a long and exhausting trip, but very exciting and eye-opening, one I hope I’ll never forget!

No comments: