Monday, February 4, 2008

So I made it here!

Hi everyone! I’m sorry, this is the first time the center (my school here) has been open long enough for me to actually update. So I have a lot to say! First, a disclaimer. For any friends who are reading this, I want you to know this is my primary way of communicating with my family, as well as you guys (I don’t think I will have time to type two versions!) So therefore, there will probably be lots of details because I normally tell my mom the details of things and I’m pretty sure she might be the only one that interested (because of motherly obligation of course) so don’t feel like you need to read everything, ok? Ok.

Where to start? Let’s see, traveling wasn’t too bad. It was kinda fun to fly by myself to the JFK airport...I was on this really big plane (one with 2 seats, then and aisle, three seats in the middle, then another aisle and two more seats) and it was like not even half full, which was nice b/c I was able to stretch out over two seats. Arriving at the JFK airport was kinda scary b/c I had no idea where to go. Finally I asked someone and they said to take the “Air Train” which I had to walk outside to find. After walking alone way out into a parking deck I followed signs to this little building with stairs and suddenly I actually was waiting for a train in the air. I got off and when to where my terminal was supposed to be at American Airlines but a guy told me I had to check in with Iberia so I had to go all the way back out and ride the train again just to get to the next terminal. I checked in there and met some other CC-CS girls standing in line with their families. I was trying to meet a girl I had emailed but I had called her and thought she was at a different terminal…so I walked to my gate (even though I was like 2 hours early) and wandered to a monitor to make sure my flight was on time. Then I saw a girl that looked like the girl I was supposed to meet and it was her! She was there with like 12 other girls, and there ended up being like 30 of us on the flight. Me and three others decided to change our tickets so that we could sit together, so that was fun. Unfortunately though, since we were all squished into the four seats in the middle sleeping wasn’t really an option (the flight left the US at like 9:45 and got to Spain at about 10:45 their time). I think next time I am just gonna drink a lot of coffee and stay up b/c being so tired and uncomfortable at the same time is no fun. It wasn’t terrible though. Oh, Dad you might like this, they had a camera on the tail of the plane so we could watch the take off and landing, so that was pretty cool!

Then the whole huge group of us had to connect to the Seville flight…we weren’t sure if we would make it on time so a group of us got ahead and were rushing through customs (I guess it was customs…all we had to do was show them our passport) and security and what not and finally we got there with just enough time to use the restroom and then get on the plane. Don’t remember much of that flight b/c I couldn’t keep my eyes open…

There were CC-CS people waiting for us at baggage claim. (That is the name of my program—Center for Cross-Cultural Study) PRAISE GOD all my luggage was there! Thank you to anyone who prayed about that, I know I was! Y’all pray for Joanne’s luggage though, there was a big mix up with her flight and she still hasn’t gotten her checked baggage yet so pray that it is soon!

So we took big buses to the hotel…it was so nice to see everything again and be here again….it reminded me of the mission trip and I couldn’t wait to see Mary Alice (graduated from Mercer, a missionary here now for 2 years) and go to church and what not.

Speaking of the mission trip…there was an amazing Starbucks by the Cathedral that had an up stairs and open windows and I think I am gonna go there and have some hot tea and my quiet time…we had to be at the center early this morning to find out my schedule and I don’t have anything until one on Mondays so I have time to do stuff. I’m sure that’s enough for y’all to read right now…and that’s only the traveling lol. Remember calling cost a lot of money so yeah I have a lot of details to tell my family! I’ll pick up where I left off and get to the good stuff soon :)

Besos!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so making me covet Spain, Laura. I want to be there with you so badly. Make sure you go to the ice cream shop by Mary Alice's Apartment!! :)

Hiromi said...

Wow I am glad that you got to see people to CCCS at the airport :) That is great!!! I enjoy your travel details ;) It reminds me of my flight from my hometown to Atlanta. I wish I could go visit you!!

Amber said...

I have found out that the journey can be the most exciting (and scary) part of the travel...which is prob why I love it so.

ooohemily said...

ahh! laura! i'm so happy for you. you're in my prayers!

Unknown said...

AHHHHHHH!! laura my laura! oh you're going to have soo much fun it's ridiculous! i will be reading and keeping up to date. Lol and your plane experiences...been there :P

LauraP said...

I am SOOOOOO proud of you for navigating JFK all by yourself! It is a true miracle that all of your luggage made it with you :-) Thinking of you and praying for you.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you made it safely! I'm praying for you! Oh, btw...you should fix your blog to allow comments from anyone and not just people with blogger profiles...that way those of us who don't actually update our blogs can comment as well. :)

mhansen said...

Laura! I am just reading this post and I just want you to know how proud I am that you conquered the airport! I completely understand how crazy it is! I get to see you in like a week and a half and I am so pumped. all your stories are getting me real excited. You are going to be such a blessing and encouragement when I arrive in Seville! I miss you so much and can't wait to see you beautiful! I am about to start a blog but I can't think of a catchy username.